This recipe is a family favorite and I love that it’s so quick and easy to make. The thing that I love about cinnamon rolls is that it’s a totally acceptable dessert to eat for breakfast! I’ve included a few helpful hints at the bottom of the recipe to make your cinnamon rolls turn out perfect!
Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 packages active dry yeast (4.5 tsp)
- 2 1/2 C warm water (101 Degrees F)
- 1-9 oz package of yellow cake mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 C softened butter
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 C confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1/3 C softened butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast into warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes until creamy.
- Add cake mix, salt, and vanilla to yeast and water mixture. Stir well to combine, then stir in the flour, beat well. Cover bowl and let rise in warm place for 1 hour.
- Deflate dough and turn it out onto a well floured surface. Roll dough into a rectangle and spread with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll up dough and cut into 3/4 in thick rolls. Place rolls in two lightly greased 9×13 baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 45 min).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bake rolls in preheated oven for 20 minutes. While rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. In medium bowl stir together confectioners sugar, 1/3 C butter, vanilla, and milk. Let rolls cool slightly then spread with frosting.